Cooking Pervertables Are Born – Part One
Cooking Pervertables Are Born – Part Two, Preparation And Undercoating
Cooking Pervertables Are Born – Part Three, Making The Logos
Cooking Pervertables Are Born – Part Four, Main Colour And Clear Coat
The handle binding
The binding material
I’m not sure what the intended purpose of this stuff is but you can find it in any outlet where accouterments for sowing, dressmaking and cloth are sold. It is a sort of strong material tape woven from cotton (I think) and at 1 Euro for ten meters is a bargain. I did not want to introduce a third colour to the toys at this time but look as I may I could not find the binding material in black and so chose the darkest blue available, I think it works.
As illustrated above the tape is secured to the top of the handle area with an elastic band and wound as tightly over the handle area as possible, smoothing out lumps and bumps and correcting uneven binding as the operation proceeded and was then cut (leaving a little extra tape at the end, just in case) and secured with another elastic band and left overnight. This is so that any mistakes that are made in the binding can be rectified before it is glued down and that the tape can settle into the shape of the handle.
Gluing the binding
The next day the tape was unwound from the toys, making sure that which end was at the top of each toy could be remembered.
The glue used is an extra strong, multi purpose type with slow setting properties. Glue is put on both sides of the handle area and spread, evenly over the whole area and the edges with an scrap of waste wood.
As these are small scale OTK type toys an addition of a wrist strap will give the spanker the ability to leave the toy dangling from her wrist leaving both hands free to remove underwear, restrain a wayward arm or deal with any other situation requiring both hands.
What the wrist straps are made of
I found some plaited leather bangles being sold at a rommel markt (Flea market or car boot sale) and managed to purchase three for 4 Euros. Unfortunately the bangles where not long enough to make a wrist strap on their own, So I decided to use ordinary shoe laces to make the back half of the wrist strap.
Making the wrist strap
Using a simple knot pulled tight, the shoelace was tied to the top of the bangle and the excess was trimmed off. The two leather thongs at the other end of the bangle where tied first to the toy and then around the other end of the shoe lace and the rest of the shoe lace was cut off along withe two protruding leather tails, forming the wrist strap.
The wooden part of the toys where then polished with a bee’s wax and vegetable oil based product and declared to be finished.
To stop these toys from getting bashed about in the toy box and to make them easy to identify and grab in a hurry, I decided that a little protective packaging was in order.
To keep things simple, appropriate and cheap, a tea towel secured with two lengths of the material tape seemed a good choice.
The original toys cost about 3 Euros.
The sheet of fine sand paper was 20 cents
In total I think about the equivalent of one full pot of model paint was used so that is 2 Euros 10 cents.
The marine varnish cost 8 Euros 50 cents for the tin but I hardly used any so lets call that 50 cents worth for sake of argument.
The blue material tape was 1 Euro.
Again for sake of argument lets say that 50 cents worth of glue was used.
With a little bartering I got the three leather bangles for 4 Euros.
Two pairs of short shoe laces cost 1 Euro 10 cents.
The tea towel was in a pack of three for 4 Euros so lets call that 1 Euro 35 cents.
That makes a total cost of 13 Euros 75 cents.
I hope that everyone enjoyed this series of posts and that it may have inspired a few of you to go out and get a bit “crafty” yourselves.